D.H. Augustus & Sons Funeral Home was formed as a career decision by the late David Henry Augustus.
With support from his parents, the late David and Mary Augustus, he began his career after graduating from New York School of Embalming in 1948 where he received a certificate as a Licensed Funeral Director and Embalmer.
Upon returning to Bermuda, Mr. Augustus continued working at various construction sites and drove taxi until he was able to finance his first funeral home.
The first Funeral Home was located on Park Street, Hamilton across from Victoria Park, today known as the Dallas Bldg. which was then a three room, one story building.
Mr. Augustus later purchased a building on Elliott Street, located between Court and Princess Street. Today, the building is used for supply storage. David Henry Augustus and his wife Pauline nurtured five sons, David, Calvin, Derrick, Raymond and Gary. As the business began to grow Mr. Augustus later purchased a building one block away and relocated the business where it remains today. His oldest sons David E. Augustus and Raymond Augustus, eventually joined him and after many years his grandsons David S. Augustus and Derrick Augustus followed in the time honored tradition.
True to its name, D.H. Augustus & Sons Funeral Home have the assistance of many family members who help it to achieve its goal and motto.:
“True Sympathy expresses itself through sincere service”